Easy Kale Salad
Green stuff. That’s what the hubby calls it. And he actually likes it, but he asks for “green stuff.” I’ve learned he means this kale salad. 😉 The nice thing is that it’s super simple to make. I like to get the fresh kale on the stalk rather than buying packaged from a bag. To me it just tastes so much better and I actually like being able to pull the leaves fresh from the stalk.
This recipe is one of my favorite side dishes. It’s easy, healthy and one of those foods you just want to keep “picking at,” kind of like popcorn. It’s just good, mindless “munchie” food that you can feel good about eating. Feel free to add some shredded parmesan or breadcrumbs if you like, but we tend to go for plain and simple. 😉
- 7-8 stalks of kale
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 – 1 3/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more or less to taste)
- Salt and pepper to taste (about 1/8 teaspoon each seems to work well)
- Rinse kale stalks and pat dry. I find it works well to lay a paper towel or two in a plate and lay the stalks on top after rinsing.
- Pull kale leaves from stalk in portions into large bowl. (Think about the size of a spinach leaf or slightly larger for the kale leaves)
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Toss to combine. (Your hands really work best for this)