Spicy Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps
Spicy is my favorite. Just kidding, chocolate is my favorite. Duh. But spicy gets a prize too, because it’s awesome. I know, I know, some people don’t like spicy food. I just really don’t see how it’s possible to not love jalapeños, but, to each their own I suppose. 🙂 For those folks not so smitten with spicy, you can just leave out the red pepper flakes. Although, this recipe really isn’t all that terribly spicy, it’s definitely not going to set your mouth on fire, so I say be brave and give it a shot. 😉
This recipe is great because it’s packed FULL of healthy veggies and lean protein, but still has plenty of flavorful Asian flair. It’s also reminiscent of those super scrumptious Chicken & Lettuce Wraps at P.F. Chang’s that we all know and love, without the additives, preservatives and pesticides that send your tummy in an uproar. If you’d like a little more “substance” for your meal, a.k.a. more carbs, then you can always serve it alongside some rice or quinoa. I actually ran out of lettuce, so that’s what we did here. This is one of our new favorites at our house, the hubs requests it on a regular basis!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound Chicken Breast, cut into bite-size chunks
- 4 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 small-ish red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), diced
- Carrots, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Zucchini, sliced/chopped (optional)
- Red Cabbage, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or sub 1 tbsp fresh, minced ginger if you have it)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 – 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce (Sky Valley has a good gluten-free sriracha sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 stalks Kale, with leaves pulled from stalk (or sub 2 cups spinach)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (I use Bragg’s Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1 head butter lettuce
- Feel free to add some diced jalapeño! (about 1-2 teaspoons depending on preference)
What to Do:
- Heat 2 teaspoons cooking oil (I am LOVING Avocado Oil!) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until nice and browned, about 5-10 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and toss; cooking for a couple more minutes. Set chicken aside on a separate plate.
- Pour remaining 2 teaspoons cooking oil into skillet. Add onion, bell pepper, carrots, red cabbage, zucchini, ginger, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, sriracha and Kale; stir to combine. Cook, tossing occasionally, until veggies are soft and slightly charred, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add remaining tablespoon and a half of soy sauce; toss to combine. Cook about 3 more minutes. Return chicken to skillet and give it a few stirs and flips of the spatula to mix well.
- Remove leaves from head of lettuce; rinse thoroughly and pat dry with a towel. Spoon chicken and veggie mixture into lettuce. Garnish with green onions and cilantro and dig in!