Savory Turkey Burgers (or Meatballs!)
This recipe is a crowd pleaser! We pretty much never get tired of it at our house. It’s super flavorful and I love that you can get a good serving of greens with it too! I pack the burgers nice and full of baby spinach for a healthy dose of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It’s also really versatile in that you can make it as burgers, or into smaller meatballs for finger food that works great for football games, parties, or even as an appetizer. You could even double the recipe so that you have easy access to some healthy and delicious protein throughout the week.
Protein is a great energy-boosting food that provides important amino acids essential to the body’s tissues including bone, skin, hair, nails, tendons and muscle. The amino acids in protein are essential for muscle growth, recovery and repair so high-quality protein is a must for those of us who love to workout! Protein is a super satiating food as well, meaning it keeps you full and satisfied longer, so you don’t snack as much and give into cravings later. A lesser known quality of protein is that it is a great brain food! Eating high-quality protein from a variety of foods provides the building blocks to make chemical messengers involved in energy production, alertness, motivation and optimal cognition. However, these essential brain nutrients s are only present in high-quality protein from animal sources such as poultry, lean beef, eggs and whey. In a nutshell, adequate amounts of high-quality lean protein is a great aid in improving body composition, longevity, and vitality!
One of the obstacles in getting enough protein, however, is that it is a difficult food for easy access and to eat enough of without getting kind of “sick of it.” This recipe is a good solution since it has plenty of flavor and can easily be doubled. Keeping healthy food on hand so that you can just “grab and go” is one of the best ways to ensure you stick to eating healthy and don’t “fall off the wagon” just because you’re too worn out to cook. I’ve totally been there! It’s wonderful to not always have to cook dinner every night after a long day.
Inspired by Jamie Eason’s Turkey Meatloaf Muffins, give these Savory Turkey Burgers (or Meatballs!!) a try and let me know what you think! 🙂
- 1 lb Ground Turkey (90-93% lean is ideal)
- 1 tsp dry yellow mustard
- 1 tsp black pepper (I recommend fresh ground)
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (or you can use diced jalapeño)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove, minced)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 1 cup Baby Spinach (frozen, chopped spinach will work too)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine yellow mustard, pepper, cumin, thyme, red pepper flakes (or jalapeño), garlic powder and salt. Add onion and spinach next.
- Heat a skillet on stove over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add ground turkey to mixing bowl with seasonings and work to combine well. Go ahead and get your hands dirty, fingers work best!
- Roll meat between your hands into three evenly-sized burger patties (or multiple smaller meatballs if you prefer).
- Add burgers (or meatballs) to heated skillet. Brown for two-three minutes, then flip and brown the bottom side for another minute or two.
- Move skillet to oven and cook for 25 minutes. For meatballs, cook time will depend on size, but 15 minutes is a good starting place. I like to cut into one before serving just to be certain they’re done. Center should have no pinkish tones and be firm when cut into.
- Serve alongside your favorite side dish and enjoy! We had black japonica rice and it was delish!
- (for 1 burger)
- Total Calories: 208
- Protein: 28 grams
- Carbohydrates: 0.5 grams
- Fat: 10.5 grams