Homemade Chicken & Vegetable Soup
With the cold weather set in for winter now, I love a good bowl of hot soup by the fire to get me all warm and cozy. You can’t beat homemade chicken and vegetable soup, and this recipe has quickly become one of my favorites. It’s also super filling without packing much of a calorie punch and just totally yummy in your tummy. 🙂
It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but it’s really not that hard to prepare and you can easily double the recipe to feed a large group or reheat for dinner throughout the week. Although it is nice if you have a chopper-friend there to help you out. That’s the hubbies’ job at our house 😉
To get you started, you’ll be chopping bell pepper, onion, garlic, carrots, chicken and baby red potatoes (unless you choose to do pasta instead). Although sometimes I’m lazy and just chop the chicken while it’s in the pot. Saves me washing a cutting board 😉
We have a little furry friend at our house who always gives his full attention whenever carrots are being chopped. This guy really loves his carrots! How can you refuse that cute little face?
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound of chicken breast, chopped into small chunks
- 1 small to medium-sized red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots (I just grab a big handful of baby carrots and chop into chunks)
- Any other chopped veggies you like, such as green beans, squash, zucchini, etc.
- 1-2 cups fresh greens such as spinach or kale (or can use frozen)
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 quarts organic, free-range (it tastes better, I promise) chicken broth
- 1-2 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoons thyme
- 3/4 teaspoons basil
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley or 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 6-8 Baby Red Potatoes, washed and chopped (or you can use Brown Rice Pasta spirals)
What to Do:
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and add the chicken. Cook for about 5-10 minutes or until nicely browned. May need to turn the heat up to medium-high.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, carrots and garlic, sautéing for about 4 minutes. Add the spinach/kale and crushed red pepper and saute for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, bay leaves, black pepper, thyme, basil and parsley and bring the liquid to a boil.
- Add the pasta or potatoes. Reduce the heat to a simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes/pasta become tender.
Here’s what you’ll end up with! Notice the hubs put mushrooms in my soup… blech. I’m not a fan, but if you like mushrooms, feel free to chop some up and toss those in too.
Enjoy! Hope you like it as much as we do! 🙂