Healthy Mexican Chicken Soup
You may have started to notice a certain theme with these recipe postings… there’s a whole lotta Mexican-style dishes! Even though I love a variety of food types and styles, Mexican is probably my absolute favorite. It’s so fun and full of flavor. Plus, spicy is my favorite too. 🙂
Even though it’s FINally spring and the weather is warming up a bit (yay!), there are sure to be a few chilly spring nights over the next few weeks, so this soup would be perfect to enjoy on a backyard patio with a view of the sunset and maaybe even a nice, cold Negra Modelo. 😉
The best part is, you can easily make this recipe in the crock pot and just throw all the ingredients in and let it cook with no hassle. Healthy dinner with no fuss – that’s what I’m talking about! This recipe is perfect for an easy, healthy dinner with lean protein, complex carbs and, since it’s lower in fat, would be a great post-workout meal. Throw it all in to cook on your lunch break and come home to a healthy dinner ready to enjoy!
- 3 chicken breast halves (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 6 baby red potatoes, washed and chopped
- 2 cans diced, fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large jalapeño, diced
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 1/2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar or Stevia in the Raw
- Sea salt to taste, about 1 teaspoon
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Trim fat off chicken and chop into large chunks.
- Combine all ingredients except corn starch in crock pot and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Add cornstarch and cook on high for 30 minutes.
- Total Calories: 290
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbs: 24.5g
- Fat: 5g