Yummy, Healthy Protein Zucchini Bread!
I have a major sweet tooth problem.
Luckily, thanks to a little creativity and some healthy substitutions, those “bad-for-you” treats we all love so much, don’t have to be so bad! In other words, you can have your cake and eat it too. Win!
Because sometimes ya just really need something sweet, savory and satisfying that doesn’t make you feel like you ate a hot air balloon and gained 100 pounds from one slice. My favorite thing is yummy treats that are actually nutritious and totally guilt-free.
Since it’s smack in the middle of summer, and gardens are practically overflowing with zucchinis, it’s the perfect time for some zucchini bread made healthy. I love this bread for a mid-morning snack, hits the spot every time.
I didn’t have a grater, traditionally used for slicing up the zucchini, so just sliced up a medium-sized zucchini into chunks and threw in the food processor. Worked great.
It works best if you combine the dry ingredients (protein powder, oat flour, salt, baking soda/powder, cinnamon, nutmeg) separately before mixing in with the wet ingredients, but sometimes I get lazy and just throw them all in together. I mean we don’t always have to follow the rules, right? 😉
Next, combine the wet ingredients (coconut oil, applesauce, coconut milk or yogurt, coconut sugar, vanilla extract) in their own separate bowl.
Then, combine the wet ingredients with the dry in the larger bowl and mix well to create the batter.
Add the zucchini in last and give the batter a few stirs to fold in the zucchini.
Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to adjust your cook time – probably about 40 minutes for a loaf pan and about 30 minutes for a small casserole dish. I like it nice and gooey, so purposely undershoot the cook time. Feel free to make it your way. 🙂
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Natural cooking spray
- 1 cup oat flour
- ½ cup vanilla whey protein powder I LOVE Bluebonnet’s French Vanilla!
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canned light coconut milk (I keep the rest in a Mason jar in the fridge- or you can just use plain yogurt instead)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or substitute half with Stevia in the Raw if you’d like to cut down on the sugar)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup grated zucchini (I didn’t have a grater, so used a food processor instead)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
What to Do:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, combine flour, protein powder, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, coconut milk or yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fold in zucchini and walnuts (if using), then pour batter into pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Bake until risen, deep golden brown and top is springy to the touch. I find that about 30 minutes works with a small casserole dish. (I like it a little gooey!)
Let the bread cool for about 10 minutes before slicing (or even longer, but I’m impatient!). Enjoy and let me know how you like it!