Healthy (er) Double Chocolate Chip Cookies!
Get ready… if you love chocolate chip cookies as much as I do, these just might change your life. Ok, maybe they won’t have that kind of impact, but they can certainly deliver a few minutes of rich, chocolate-y bliss. I’m a certified chocoholic and the more rich and dark, the better. None of that sugary, flavorless milk chocolate here! These are the real deal and the best part of all? They’re made with all healthy ingredients so you can enjoy without the guilt and without sacrificing any delicious flavor. You’ll get a good dose of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and you can even get your protein! These have quickly become my new favorite chocolate treat.
I swear by avocado in my cookies, it delivers the perfect cookie texture and adds a dose of healthy monounsaturated fats. Just make sure your avocado is ripe so that it’s soft and mixes into the dough well.
I’m also crazy about these Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels. Enjoy Life has created some delicious chocolate that is dairy, gluten and soy-free! I originally started using these when I was on an elimination diet to attempt to discover the source of my hateful GI issues, so was avoiding dairy, eggs and gluten. Turns out those foods don’t cause any trouble for me in moderation, but I’m now HOOKED on these chips! I get them at Vitacost.com if you’re interested in trying.
Just remember, healthy doesn’t always mean low calorie, so moderation is key! However, these are the perfect sweet treat to curb that sweet tooth when it strikes. They’re also one of my go-to recipes when I need to bring a dish to a get-together. I honestly think the healthier version blows the traditional unhealthy mess of a cookie out of the water in terms of taste and texture. Taste buds grow accustomed to what you give them though, so maybe it’s just me 😉
- 1 cup oat flour + 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup vanilla or chocolate protein powder + 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado (can substitute up to 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce to cut calories)
- 1/2 cup softened/melted butter (can substitute up to 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce to cut calories)
- 1 cup Stevia in the Raw
- 1 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (can add another 1/4 cup if you like)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, protein powder, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.
- In a separate large bowl, mix avocado, butter (and applesauce if using), coconut sugar and Stevia in the Raw until well combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract.
- Stir flour mixture into butter/sugar bowl in thirds, mixing well to combine after each addition.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- (per cookie- will be less if using applesauce substitution)
- Calories: 205
- Protein: 5g
- Carbs: 24g
- Fat: 10g