Quick + Easy Chicken Sausage + Sautéed Veggies
A healthy breakfast can be one of the hardest things to fit in on a busy, hectic morning. Most of the time I’ll do a scoop or two of Vega’s All in One Shake in a blender bottle and head out the door, but sometimes you just want something solid and a little more palatable. This recipe is a good solution because you get plenty of protein and lots of healthy veggies in no time at all. Veggies can be so hard to get enough of, sometimes it seems like they’re almost an afterthought in a meal, you know, because ya “gotta eat your veggies.” Well, at least by starting the morning off with a huge serving of spinach and bell peppers, you’re off to a good start for the day! Even if you don’t get as much as you should later in the day, you’ve started the day off right and fueled up well with a nutritious breakfast that should give you a nice dose of energy to get through the rest of the morning. Plus, it takes less than 15 minutes to make! Boom, new morning ritual. 🙂 Doesn’t it look pretty darn yummy?
This recipe was also featured on Girls Gone Strong‘s website as part of a contest they held for quick and easy egg-less breakfast recipes. I was so excited to have won! You can see the article here. 🙂 This recipe seemed to be the most popular, but I realized I hadn’t posted it here yet. OOPS! Well, we can fix that. 😉 You’ll need two frying pans for the most efficiency and quickest cook time, browning the sausage in one and sautéing the veggies in the other. You can use fresh or frozen veggies, whichever is on hand and easiest for you. Add a teaspoon or so of olive or other cooking oil, throw in your chopped bell peppers, onions and spinach and cook over medium heat. Just check out these lovelies.
And here’s the cooked up goodies…
Don’t forget the chicken sausage! You can really use any sausage you prefer, but my favorite is Trader Joe’s Jalapeño Chicken Sausage. Just toss a couple links in a frying pan over medium heat, brown a little, then slice up and brown each side of the slices. Voila!
Toss the sausage and veggies together and you’ve got a healthy breakfast in under 15 minutes! What do you do for breakfast during the week? Any other quick and easy ideas? I’m always looking for new ideas so leave a comment below and let me know!
- 1 tsp olive oil or non-stick spray
- 2 links Trader Joe’s Jalapeño Chicken Sausage (or feel free to choose any type you like)
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach (or frozen if more convenient)
- 1 cup bell peppers and onions, chopped (may use frozen here to save time chopping – Trader Joe’s has some frozen Fire-Roasted Peppers and Onions that are great)
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Dash of Thyme and Oregano (optional)
- Dash of Garlic Powder (optional)
- Heat two frying pans over medium heat, adding olive oil or non-stick spray.
- Add veggies and sauté with a spatula until browned. (If using fresh spinach, add it in just for the last few minutes – it wilts fairly quickly)
- In second frying pan, add sausage, browning the outside just a bit, then cut into thin slices. Cook until browned well on each side.
- You can “spice up” the veggies a bit with a dash of garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper, thyme and oregano if you like.
- Toss together and enjoy!
- (With 1 tsp Olive oil and 1 cup frozen spinach)
- Total Calories: 316
- Protein: 25g
- Carbs: 17g
- Fat: 16.5g