Healthy Bacon and Egg Bake with Sauteed Veggies
Breakfast is probably my favorite meal. Especially on the weekends when I’m not rushed and can enjoy a nice, slow morning with good food and good coffee. 🙂 But, sometimes the usual breakfast fixin’s just get a little old and it would be nice to try something a bit different. This egg bake is a great way to change up the preparation of old breakfast staples, eggs and bacon. Plus, you’ll get your veggies too!
You’ll start by preheating the oven to 350 and cooking up some spicy sausage (your choice, but I used Trader Joe’s jalapeño chicken sausage… one word, YUM). I used 2 sausage links and cut into slices. I like to get each side nice and browned.
I also added some peppered turkey bacon for good measure. It’s a protein palooza!
Then you’ll add it all to an 8×8 casserole dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil). Tear up the bacon into pieces and spread the meat evenly on the bottom of the dish.
Now for the eggs. You’ll start with some good ol’ cage-free eggs, about 6-8. I used 5 whole eggs and 2 egg whites, but you could go half and half, or go whole eggs all the way. If you like a little extra fluffiness, you can add a splash of milk. I added a lil’ almond milk, but I think coconut milk would probably be awesome too.
Next, add the spices. I added a heaping dash of thyme and oregano, plus some salt and pepper. Whisk it all up with a fork.
To finish, you’ll pour the egg mixture over the meat in the casserole dish, covering the meat with the eggs . Top with a dusting of shredded cheese. I used a Mexican blend.
Then, you’ll pop it in the oven at 350 for about 30-35 minutes.
While it cooks, you can work on the veggies. Heat a pan on medium-high heat, adding a teaspoon or so of olive oil. I used a frozen bell pepper blend, chopped up some red onion and poured in some frozen chopped spinach. Let’s be honest, frozen wins with the convenience factor. 😉 Check out the purty colors…
Sautee’ on medium-high heat for about 5-10 minutes (fresh veggies will cook faster). Don’t they look scrumptious?
Once the eggs are baked, just cut into squares and serve! I love the nice browning on top.
Finally, top with as much veggies as you like, maybe add a little extra salt, and dig in!
- Cage free eggs, 6-8 (or sub half with cage free egg whites)
- Breakfast Sausage (nitrate/nitrite free)
- Bacon if you like, I used peppered turkey bacon
- Cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Sea salt and pepper
- Thyme and oregano (big dash each)
- Garlic salt (little dash)
- Veggies (I used bell peppers, onions, and spinach)
What to Do:
- Brown the sausage and bacon in a pan on medium heat. I like to get them a little charred.
- You have two options for the veggies, you can cook them and then include IN the egg bake OR cook them and TOP the egg bake with them. Your choice 😉
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish (glass or ceramic) on all sides. I used a coconut oil spray, but any non-stick cooking spray will work.
- Add the meat (and veggies if you are baking them in) and spread evenly.
- Break your eggs into a small bowl. Add a big dash each of thyme and oregano, salt and pepper to taste, and a small dash of garlic salt. Beat the eggs well, adding a splash of coconut milk if you like for more fluffiness.
- Pour the eggs evenly over the bake. Top with a dusting of shredded cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.