Easy Blueberry Protein Pancakes
Protein pancakes are one of my favorite breakfasts, but since mornings are usually pretty rushed, I wanted to put together a recipe that was as quick and easy as possible. The convenience factor is usually a big obstacle to a healthy breakfast and starting your day off with a nutritious meal can make all the difference in your energy and how you feel for the rest of the day.
Morning is also one of the more important times of day to make sure you get plenty of protein, so this recipe packs in plenty of protein and good carbohydrates to get you going and keep you full throughout the rest of the morning.
Plus, in addition to some great antioxidants, research has actually shown that blueberries are great brain food! Perfect to get your mental energy charged for the day.
(this is a single serving size)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (or 1/3 cup oat flour)
- 3/4 scoop vanilla protein powder (my all-time favorite is Bluebonnet!)
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 egg* (see egg substitute below)
- 3/4 -1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional, but recommended!)
- 1/4 cup blueberries
*If you would prefer to avoid using eggs, you may whisk together 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl (a glass measuring cup works well) until thickened and viscous.
- Heat large frying pan or cast iron skillet over medium-low heat, spraying with non-stick cooking spray (or use butter/coconut oil to grease pan if you prefer – I like a slice of butter).
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Pour batter onto heated surface, into about 6 inch-sized pancakes (will be 3 pancakes).
- Let cook for about 3-4 minutes until edges are dry and pancake is “set.” If using the “flax egg,” it will take a little longer to cook, so just make sure it is set before flipping. Flip and cook the other side for another 2-4 minutes.
Tip: I like to bake the whole thing in a pie dish and have one big pancake! It bakes for about 15 minutes at 375, so this allows you to get ready for work, do the dishes, or whatever else while it bakes.
Total Calories: 311